Online Post-Master’s Adult Gerontolgy NP Programs – What’s the Best AGNP Graduate Certificate Program for You?
- Compare the 2023 Top Ranked Online AGNP Post-Master's Certificate Programs
- Why Get a Post-Master’s Adult-Gerontology NP Certificate?
- How to Choose an Online Post-Master’s Adult-Gerontology NP Certificate Program
- Post-Master’s AGNP Certificate Curriculum
- List of Online Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Graduate Certificate Programs
Master’s-prepared nurses who wish to enter the Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (AGNP) specialty at either the acute care or primary care level can save money and time by enrolling in an AGNP post-master’s certificate program (also sometimes referred to as a post-graduate certificate program). Prior to earning a post-master’s certificate, students need to have some work experience as a nurse. An MSN and a current RN license are the most typical requirements for this pathway.
Compare the 2023 Top Ranked Online AGNP Post-Master's Certificate Programs
For current APRNs considering entry into the Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (AGNP) specialty, an online AGNP Post-Master's Certificate program can be the perfect pathway. These certificate programs make it easy to switch focus areas swiftly and affordably. Choosing the right program, however, can be challenging. That's why we've ranked the top online AGNP Post-Master's Certificate programs across the country. For more information on our rankings, visit our Methodology page.
Graceland University's adult gerontology, nurse practitioner online program is a post-graduate specialty that enables students to complete practicums across a range of acute care areas within the in-patient setting. Specialty practicums include orthopedics, endocrinology, oncology, rheumatology, and more.
- Advanced practice competency labs must be completed in-person
- In-person practicums must be completed under supervision of a preceptor
- Graceland's nursing program has a 50-year history
Deliver quality care and services to aged and acutely ill patients when you earn your post-grad adult gerontology, nurse practitioner certificate online from the University of South Carolina. Students learn how to treat adult patients diagnosed with complex and often multiple conditions.
- Complete the post-grad cert in 5 semesters
- In-person clinical rotations are required for the online program
Concordia University Wisconsin's online Adult-Gerontology Primary Care NP post-grad cert includes advanced nursing theory courses, including healthcare policy & issues, pathophysiological theories, and health care informatics. More than theory, the program encompasses advanced primary care clinicals and didactics emphasizing evidence-based practice across the adult lifecycle.
- Curriculum is built on Christian principles
- Part of the Certificate After Graduate Education (CAGE) program in nursing
- Complete 35 course credits to earn your post-grad cert
University of Southern Indiana offers an online post-grad cert in Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (AGNP) to practicing nurses who have already earned a master’s degree in nursing. The part-time program, which requires 9-15 hours a week of study time, was designed to be completed in 2 years.
- Some transfer courses must be completed within the past 5 years
- Students must arrange on-site clinicals with preceptors
- No campus visits are required for the post-grad cert in AGNP
Nurses who already hold an MSN degree can gain the qualifications to transition to an Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (AGNP) when they complete the online post-grad cert at Regis College outside of Boston. Students can choose from acute or primary care options.
- The 31-40 credit program can be finished in 2 years
- Those who complete the post-grad cert can test for certification
- A Catholic, historical women’s college founded in 1927
Why Get a Post-Master’s Adult-Gerontology NP Certificate?
Obtaining a post-master’s certificate as an adult-gerontology nurse practitioner allows you to specialize in an area of practice that holds exceptional opportunities for advancement. Choosing to specialize in a particular population also means that you can work with those that provide you with the most pleasure. AGNPs who hold a post-master’s graduate certificate may find employment in:
- Internal medicine
- Ambulatory care
- Long-term care
- Rehabilitation centers
- Community health clinics
Before deciding on this route to the AGNP specialty, there are several factors to consider.
- Shortest, most cost-effective route to become an AGNP for nurses who hold an MSN already
- Good choice for MSN-prepared nurses who aren’t sure they want to commit to a DNP
- Great way to an advance a career without having to pursue a full degree program
- Those who eventually want to earn a DNP may be better off skipping the post-grad cert and entering one directly
- May not hold the same prestige as a full degree in the specialty
- If research and/or teaching is the end-goal, a DNP may be the better choice
How to Choose an Online Post-Master’s Adult-Gerontology NP Certificate Program
If you’re like many nurses, you plan to continue working as you pursue your AGNP post-graduate certificate. Choosing an online program that doesn’t require on-site visits to the college campus is likely to fulfill your needs. It’s a good idea to make sure the online AGNP post-master’s certificate program you choose is properly accredited.
Prospective students should also decide whether they want to pursue an Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner certificate or an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner certificate. Both options are regularly available at the post-master’s certificate level.
While you might think that a shorter course is best because it allows you to put your certificate to use more quickly, ensure that it meets the requirements that are necessary for licensure and/or certification. Another consideration is figuring out how the program handles the clinical experience. Will you need to find your own facility or does the program have contracts with clinics or hospitals in your area, for example?
Post-Master’s AGNP Certificate Curriculum
The exact curriculum you’ll complete as part of attaining your adult-gerontology nurse practitioner post-master’s grad certificate depends on the particular requirements of the college and the program itself, especially if you choose to subspecialize in Acute or Primary Care. It’s likely that if you did not complete advanced physiology, advanced pharmacology, and advanced health assessment as part of your master’s degree, then you’ll need to do so in order to earn your certificate. Other courses that you might take include:
- Acute Care of the Adult
- Primary Care of the Adult Patient
- Specialty courses in areas such as neurology or oncology
Clinical requirements may vary by state, but post-grad certificate AGNP students generally need to complete around 625 clinical hours in the specialty. These clinical rotations can be arranged in the student’s hometown, or even at their place of employment. Preceptors must be approved by the school before rotations can take place.
List of Online Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Graduate Certificate Programs
To see available online Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate programs near you, check out our listings below.
Select Your State:
University of Arizona
University of Colorado
University of Northern Colorado
Miami Shores, FL
University of Central Florida
Georgia State University
Boise State University
University of Southern Indiana
Sioux City, IA
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA
University of Kansas
Kansas City, KS
University of Kentucky College of Nursing
University of Massachusetts Boston
Eastern Michigan University
University of Detroit Mercy
St. Louis, MO
University of Missouri - St. Louis
St. Louis, MO
West Long Branch, NJ
Seton Hall University
South Orange, NJ
The University of New Mexico
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY
University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Case Western Reserve University
University of South Carolina
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center- Memphis
The George Washington University
Concordia University Wisconsin
Are we missing your school's nurse practitioner program or need to update any of the information listed? Please contact us.